Now, what were all those foods that they said were good for boosting brain power and memory? They’re on the tip of my tongue…sweetbreads? No. Recalled eggs? Nope. Smarties?
I remember, thanks to Cynthia Green and the editors of Prevention magazine and their new book Brainpower Game Plan, where they cite 7 foods that increase brain power and might even prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s disease:
1. Fatty fish with omega 3s – salmon, tuna, mackerel, etc. Experts from many sources seem to agree that wild salmon is at the top of the list.
2. Leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage are the most powerful brain protectors. A Harvard study showed that women who ate mostly these vegetables, reduced the age of theirbrainone to two years. Remember that91 yearold nutritionist of mine? eat that cauliflower and you might She mandated that everyday we have at least one serving of either: broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts or cabbage.
3. Nuts yea!, avocado, seeds – natural oils found in almonds, walnuts, etc. for their natural vitamin E. Get this, people who eat vitamin E (no pills here) reduce their risk of Alzheimer’s disease by 67%.
4. Curcumin – an Indian spice better known to us as turmeric, cumin and curry. They possess a anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to wipeout Alzheimer’s proteins in animals (human study pending).
5. Chocolate – yea! dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa contain flavonoids that some research has linked to better brain health.
6. Grains help with concentration. “The fiber in oats and brown rice helps keep yourblood sugarsteady. Yourbrain relies on blood glucose for fuel, so you want a steady supply. When you eat refined versions of these carbohydrates, you get a spike and a plummet that will ruin your concentration,” said the editor of Prevention.
7. Water – drink plenty – the brain is made up of mostly water. Studies show that when you’re well-hydrated you do better onbrain powertests.
So make those kids a wild salmon and cauliflower curry over a bed of brown rice with a dark chocolate almond bar for dessert and wash it all down with an 8-10 ounce glass of water. Can you remember all that? They will.