Here are my Top Five(w)rappers: reusable bags, cellophane, hand-stamped, Eminem and personalized. Probably everyone who reads this blog received our holiday card which included a photo from this year’s posed pic with kids and animals (it’s on the bottom right, if you’re curious).
It’s on the bottom right in a big collage of photos because, after all the trouble, the photo was too blurry to stand alone. Knowing that our annual photo sessions depict the trigger formula: perfection quest(2) + time depravity/cat superiority x dog skittish(teenager) = our dysfunction, the daughter used it as the setting for her class family video assignment. She got an A and I got outtakes that created the most perfect wrapping paper.But as that same daughter, at age 2, one time shouted to a group of carol-singing boys in January, “Christmas is over little girl.”
And so we look to New Year’s celebration…. Before we dial in our diets – see you soon Lose It app – here’s a little something that brings summer barbecue into our winter kitchens with so much ease you can ignore it like Alex Forrest in Fatal Attraction.
I have made these slow cooker ribs several times with sweat-free and fall-off-the-bone results.
Starts with a couple of slabs, sliced onion, seasoning and slow cooker set at 8 low hoursor 4 high temp cooking hours.
Finish in the oven with your favorite barbecue sauce, mine is from Cousin Barry’s below which is slightly taxing but oh so worth it. For crunchtime clocks, use bottled.
Might be the perfect stick to your own ribs – gross – antidote for your hangover and a New Year’s game day gnaw. Ribs and a luscious Bloody Dirty Mary.
Happy New Year! BTW don’t bring your 14 year old son to see Chris Rock’s Top Five movie. We had to have some talks.
slow cooker barbecue ribs
preptime: 5 minutes servings 6
cooktime: 8 or 4 hours slow cooker, 10-15 minutes in oven
- 3 pounds baby back ribs, trimmed
- Season ribs with salt and pepper.
- Pour water into slow cooker. Layer the ribs into the slow cooker. Top the ribs with onion and garlic.
- Cook on High for 4 hours (or Low for 8 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Transfer ribs to a baking sheet. Discard onion and garlic. Coat ribs with barbeque sauce.
- Bake in preheated oven until the sauce caramelizes and sticks to the meat, 10 to 15 minutes.
recipe for bbq ribs inspired from allrecipes danby your friends at crunchtimefood.com
Barry’s Barbecue Sauce
preptime: 30 minutes Makes 2 cups
- 1 15 oz cans tomato sauce 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Colman’s Dry Mustard
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (if doing a picnic ham I use ground cloves instead)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Black Currant Balsamic Vinegar (Any fruit Balsamic will do)
- 1/3 bulb roasted garlic
- 1/2 small onion roasted
To roast onion and garlic, wrap them in foil and bake at 400° for about 30 minutes and then puree in food processor or chop well.
- Use 2 tsp Onion Powder and 2 tsp garlic powder instead of roasting the garlic and onion.