Another chicken soup recipe, right? Wrong. This chicken vegetable soup delivers a low cal, satisfying complete meal that conquers the food pyramid while fulfilling our cravings for something that just tastes good. Â The difference from typical chicken soups – this one’s loaded with savior-like vegetables that don’t preach down and dense with savory chicken that won’t grease up. Â Topped with a devilish cheese crisp that adds sinful flavor, but wholesome enough to keep us out of confession. Â Hallelujah.
I first made this soup as a lonesome lunchtime requirement fulfilling a diet, a diet panic rather that I had before heading to Europe this summer. Â It would be a diet ensuring that I lose just the right amount of weight to gain back on vacation. The pre-summer weight loss idea turned into a six week plan turned into a 17 day diet which I tried to do in 6 days. I’ve cherry picked that diet for 83 days now and counting. Â Although a slimmer me did not emerge (thanks summer barbecues), a go-to guilt-free soup favorite did.
The recipe is diabolically easy. You can make it at dinnertime or freeze it for later. Â It’ll last at least 83 days and counting.
chicken vegetable soup & parmesan crisp
Okra is rarely a vegetable I reach for, but this nutrient laden vegetable nearly disappears when thinly sliced and the soluble fiber nestling the seeds thickens the soup much like it does for gumbo. Â Nearly all of the vegetables can be found on your grocer’s salad bars – prepped and ready to go. Â Okra-homa in a flash!
preptime: 20 min Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 4 servings
cooktime: 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage chopped
- 1 large carrotÂ chopped
- 1 cup okraÂ sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large celery stalks with leaves chopped
- 1 15-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 Â tsp pepper
- 4 baked chicken breasts diced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Place all ingredients, except chicken, in a large pan and simmer for one hour or until vegetables are soft.
- Add chicken and heat thoroughly.
- Parmesan Crisps: Mound 4 each 1/4-cup shredded cheese onto non-stick surface of bakeware (reliable non-stick surface, non-stick aluminum foil, or silpat mat).Â Broil at 400Â° on top rack. Â Watch closely. Â If edges brown too darkly, move to a lower level. Â When the cripss have fully meltedÂ into one disk, remove from the oven. Â When cool, carefully spring each disk from the pan’s surface.
- Ladle soup and serve with a parmesan crisp.
recipe inspired by 17-Day Diet book and provided by your friends at crucnhtimefood.com