spicy tuna bowl
Because this spicy tuna bowl relies on assembly more than cooking, consider having a make-your-own rice bowl at the table. Combinations of ingredients are infinite and easy to adjust to individual preferences. Â There are three simple sections to prep work: the rice, sriracha soy sauce, and chopping. Â All can be made ahead of mealtime. Â I offer crunchtime strategies below that will cut to the chase and still give you a tasty meal. It may look like a lot of ingredients, but you will have much of it in your pantry or refrigerator.
preptime: 3o min Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 4 servings
2-3 cups prepared brown rice (white is fine)
3 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp sugar (1 packet sugar substitute, or white sugar)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil + 1 tsp for searing tuna
1 clove garlic minced
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp sriracha
1 tsp chopped scallions
4-6 ounce fresh tuna per person, adjust for appetites
2 carrots cut into matchsticks
1/2 cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
2 baby bok choy, sliced (parboil optional)
2 radishes thinly sliced
1/2 avocado, sliced (optional)
sesame seeds, toasted
lime wedges (optional)
- For the rice: combine rice vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved and then combine with the cooked brown rice. Â Set aside.
- For the drizzling sriracha soy sauce: combine soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sriracha, and scallions.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining teaspoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Â When the skillet is very hot, place the tuna steaks in the pan. Â Cook for about 4 minutes and until the fish easily releases from the pan, and then turn to sear the other side for about 1-2 minutes. Â The length of time will depend on the thickness of steaks and your desired doneness. Â Remove the tuna steaks to a cutting board and let them rest a minute or two before slicing.
- To assemble: place the rice at the bottom of each bowl, arrange vegetables, top with tuna, sprinkle sesame seeds over, and drizzle the sauce over all.
- Serve at room temperature with lime wedges.
- Use pre-prepared rice & pre-chopped veggies.
- For sauce: use as many ingredients from the recipe as you have on-hand or have time for but, Â just soy sauce alone can work.